Here are some ways in which you can manage your web history on Internet Explorer (8 and newer). NOTE: Any websites that are bookmarked or added to favorites along with any downloads made during an incognito browsing session WILL be saved to your computer. All other records of your browsing activity will be erased upon closing all Internet Explorer windows.
Deleting Your History
- Click on the tools symbol (a gear located in the top right corner of your browser window) and select “Internet options.”
- In the dialog box, under the section that says Browsing history, select “delete.”
- You can also choose to have your history deleted every time you exit internet explorer by selecting the box next to “Delete browsing history on exit” (shown below in red).
In-Private Browsing on Internet Explorer
Instead of having to erase your entire history every time you use the internet, you can launch private browsing sessions that don’t save your browsing history, tracking cookies, or other temporary internet files during the session. This is generally known as incognito browsing. Here is how to launch an incognito session, known as InPrivate browsing, on Internet Explorer.
- Click on the internet options symbol, then select “Safety (see above).”
- Then Click “InPrivate Browsing.”
Now you are all set to begin your browsing session. Remember: All bookmarks and downloads made during an incognito browsing session WILL BE SAVED.